Thursday, March 17, 2011

Barry Eisler - Thriller Novelist, and so much more...

To say that Barry is a novelist is true, but it is also an understatement: former-CIA (Directorate of Operations), attorney in an international law firm, in-house counsel at the Osaka headquarters of Matsushita Electric, spending his life between San Francisco and Tokyo, Barry is also an expert in Judo, a Jazz enthusiast, a single malt whiskey connoisseur, and an extremely pertinent and knowledgeable political analyst. What's not to like?

Politics and MySpace are actually how I discovered Barry. After I read 2-3 of his blogs on Myspace during the 2008 US presidential campaign, I kept thinking "wow, it's pertinent, balanced, and also so well written"! No surprise to then find out that he was a writter, and after a couple of comment exchanges I went on and subscribed to his Discussion Board a "fun forum with a lot of interesting people talking about writing, the Rain books, politics, single malt whisky, and anything else that strikes people's fancy" as he states himself. Another good place to go is his blog, The Heart of the Matter which is his "nonfiction venue for discussing what's going on in the world".

OK, now that I told you that Barry was not only a novelist, let me tell that he is also a novelist, and invite to discover his books.

About "Rain Fall" (first of a series of 6 starring the secret agent John Rain), as The London Time wrote "... an original, adrenalin-filled romp through an exotic cultural landscape with an engaging murderer as a guide...".
Rain Fall became a movie (featuring Gary Oldman), even though I have to admit that I did not enjoy it as much as I did the book...

Have fun discovering Barry's world!

Olivier

Barry's last and first books

No comments: